Sunday, July 11, 2010

Movie Magic by Michelle Lugo

Today, in my American Culture class, the teachers wanted us to make a project about movies; then we watched three different movie clips because we should choose two clips to write about and to make a mosaic which could explain with colors the impression we had about the movie scenes. For this project I chose two really different movies…

The first movie I chose for my Movie Magic project was Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I chose this clip because of the mystery and also the fantasy this movie has. The first impression I had was of a scary movie with witches, wizards, dragons, flying brooms and awful candles because the colors of the background and the props make you imagine these kinds of things. There’s a big intervention of dark tones: the overall and background colors were black, dark blue as the ocean, the stained wine color, green as a lake’s water, different brown tones, and so much gray; for me these colors were put together to create an environment of a mysterious and magical world that involves all of these actions and creatures that we just can see in our daydreams or nightmares. The majority of the characters wore black wizard’s suits reminding us what they are, and they also wore lightning colors like yellow and red symbolizing that they use their magic knowledge for good stuff. An important character wore a gray suit maybe indicating power and authority. In the clip a group of girls were dressed in blue, as blue as the sky, indicating the female sensitivity, the delicate way of girl’s moving, how fancy can a girl be, and the way we can make boys get crazy with just one move. Russian guys with dark brown leather suits that make me believe in the strong side boys have and then they started making tricks with intense red fire indicating the way they always want to show it.

The second movie I chose was Stealing Beauty. I selected this movie clip because of my impression about the movie: the colors connected to the actions suggested a big change on a life. I could interpret the brightness of the colors on the clip like a really peaceful and stressful time because of the change indicated before, In this clip there was just one character and she was wearing a peach color t-shirt which I could get like a fresh moment and the time to start from zero. She was in a road with so many plants which colors were just different kinds of green indicating the way the nature can change our minds and our whole life. Bright colors like yellow, ocher, beige, strawberry, maraschino, sea foam and also white make me imagine the revival of someone, my own dreams, and when a life turns around…

To make my first mosaic I used dark colored paper, representing mystery and the powerful groups… I also made a silhouette of something that could make my classmates could see the united different kinds of groups. To make the second mosaic, I put in the center of the sheet a representation of the starring girl, the nature in the top, and in every side of the “girl representation” Then I put her old life in the left side and her new life in the right side…

No comments:

Post a Comment