Sunday, July 11, 2010

Jessica's Mosaic project





















In this project, I have watched three movies, thought about the colors in the movies and made mosaics by using them. Before this class, I have not thought about the color usages in the movies but through this class I have noticed a variety of colors all around us. I have been watching three kinds of movies the class and I have chosen two movies of them. After that, I thought about the color of that movies and the concept of my mosaic. This essay will examine about the scences that I have chosen from the two movies, which are 'The Others' and 'Harry Potter', and color choices and concepts from the each scene.
I enjoy whatching dark movies like thriller, scary and horror ones. Since I like the tension in that sort of movies, i can get into the story easily and also experience some paranormal activities, which I cannot face in the real life. In the movies ' The Others ', I felt a lot of tension through the background and props, eventhough I had watched just short part of the movie. the curtain at the house and all the clothes which people wear in the movie were black, so the entire images of those scenes refer me to the color black. For that reason, I used black as the main color of my mosaic. I very much liked the scene in which the two kids were showed up, so i used that scene my mosaic. The second floor in the movie, the face of the children in the dark, were very impressive since their faces looked remarkably pale compared to the background and had rosy lips. Hence I have used the bright cantaloupe and cherry color to refer the faces and lips of children. Additionally, I have put the candle light into my mosaic by using gradation with the light lemon and orange color. I put the faces of children on the center of the left side of the paper, the candle is on the right side and the rest of the mosaic is filled with black and dark grey pieces of color.
I am not good at organizing separate images into one, therefore I have chosen just one scene from the movie I have seen. The second movie which I am going to talk about is 'Harry Potter'. I used to like all the 'Harry Potter' series so I have gone through all books and movies. Also, I really like the professor Dumbledore becaouse he is a very merciful, honest and upright person so I chose the scene which the professor Dumbledore was talking to the student on the platform. He has a long curly silver beard and mustache and was wearing silver steal glasses and a dark brown silk cloack and a reddish brown quilted hat. There were three candles up on the both sides of the platform and the background was almost the bright balck color. In my mosaic, I tried to emphasize the long silver beard of Dumbledore with the silver color papaers and present the caldles with the same method which I have examined in the 'The Others'.However, making mosaic was harder than I thought, so it was not going like I wanted. So I cut all papers like rods and put those together. Dumbledore's figure is presented in the center of the mosaic, the six candles is located at the either sides and the rest of the color is filled with the grey and dark grey color papaers.
This essay has talked about my thoughts about the movies and choices of colors in Harry Potter and The Others. Its was really hard describing colors of people, props and background from the movies and organizing my thoughts and impressions. However, this was the great chance to build and broaden my English vocabulary and focus on adjectives and I was having fun while making my own mosaic.

No comments:

Post a Comment